Skiathos. Skopelos. Alonissos.
The three islands are a major part of the Northern Sporades island complex. Skiathos is the closest to Volos (41 nautical miles) and the mainland (2.4 nautical miles). It’s a three hour boat journey from Volos to Skiathos or a half hour water taxi ride from Katigiorgis. Located one next to the other, they are all beautiful islands and definitely worth visiting, for different reasons. Skiathos is the most popular tourist destination, and you really should consider visiting it if nightlife is what you’re looking for. Alonissos is much more peaceful, ideal for relaxing. Skopelos is somewhere in between, literally and metaphorically, not as lively as Skiathos and not as quiet as Alonissos. A perfect choice for some peace, with an occasional visit to a night club!
It goes without saying that all of them have beautiful beaches (the Kukunaries beach in Skiathos is known worldwide), among other sites worth visiting, namely:
- The house, which is currently a museum, of Alexandros Papadiamantis in Skiathos.
- The Bourtzi Peninsula in Skiathos.
- The Byzantine Church of Christ in Skiathos, with rare architectural character.
- The Folklore Museum of Skopelos.
- The 360(!!!) churches and chapels of Skopelos, the oldest being the basilica of Agios Athanasios (11th century).
- The National Marine Park of Alonissos, the largest protected marine area in Europe, home to a population of the Mediterranean Monk Seal (Monachus Monachus), among other animals of course.